Ultimate Elephant Back Safari | Premier Okavango Getaway
Participate in the most memorable of game viewing experiences: seated on the back of an Elephant. Also, tranquil mokoro excursions in the maze-like Delta, and exciting game drives.
Includes flights ex/to Johannesburg.
Original Elephant Back Safari in the Okavango DeltaEnjoy magnificent views from the top of a majestic Elephant during your premier elephant-back safari in the Okavango Delta. You will be accommodated in a beautiful tented camp with en-suite facilities. The highlight of your trip will be interacting with the Elephants, learning about their behaviour and having a wonderful game viewing experience where you will be surrounded by antelope such as Wildebeest and Lechwe. Game drives will allow you to explore the picturesque islands further afield.In the dry season when the Delta floods, you will be able to enjoy game viewing from Mokoros, you may even see the rare water adapted Sitatunga during a Mokoro trip, as they live in the thick Papyrus beds along the permanent water channels.
Day 1: Johannesburg - Okavango DeltaView Lodge
You will be met on arrival in Maun, gateway to the Okavango delta, transferred by a light aircraft to your bush camp. The flight takes about 30 minutes, and it is a great way to take in the beautiful landscape of the exotic Delta below with its many different channels, and islands.
After a light lunch, you will have time to relax and settle into camp before a lovely high tea after which you will be taken to meet the Elephants. You will go on a short game viewing expedition either on the Elephants or in a game viewing vehicle. Highly experienced guides who will help you spot animals such as Buffalo and Blue Wildebeest conduct these. You will return to your luxury safari camp in time for refreshing sundowners around the campfire, followed by a delicious dinner, which is often served, on the main deck. Go to sleep surrounded by the sounds of the African night.
Day 2: Okavango DeltaView Lodge
The day starts with a morning Elephant ride in Botswana. This is usually the preferred morning activity. Sometimes you will return to the camp in time for lunch, otherwise you will ride out to a picnic spot on one of the islands for a late brunch followed by a siesta under the shade of tall palm trees.
The Elephants are set free to browse the palm islands before being called back for the return to camp. This is a relaxing late afternoon ride during which you can see animals such as Lion and Hippo as well as many bird species such as Saddle-Billed Storks. Alternatively, game drives can be done in 4x4 vehicles.
Day 3: Okavango DeltaWhen the annual flood arrives, you might set off to explore the serene Delta channels in a traditional Mokoro (canoe). This allows you to explore the wetter areas of the concession and see the beautiful palm Islands.
In the evening sundowners may be served on the main deck, or perhaps you will drive out to where a beautifully laid table awaits, and the chef has conjured up a magnificent bush dinner. After dinner under the stars, you can also go on a night drive with a spotlight to spot the nocturnal Delta inhabitants.
Day 4: Okavango - Maun - JohannesburgAfter breakfast one last morning game drive in the Okavango Delta before you make your way back to Johannesburg via a light aircraft transfer and scheduled flight.
Rates & PricesPlease take note that all *water based activities are water level dependent and cannot be guaranteed.
- Flights from Johannesburg to Maun and return
- Light aircraft transfer from Maun and between the lodge airstrips
- Spend 3 nights accommodation in a Safari Tent in the Okavango Delta
- All meals including breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Local drinks including soft drinks, beers, wines
- Scheduled camp activities including game drives in open safari vehicles, and *motorboat or *mokoro canoe safaris (seasonal)
- Elephant back safari & interaction, walk with the elephants, physically interact with the herd, participate in or just observe activities such as mud bathing, training and veterinary care, engage in elephant-back safaris, view wildlife from the back of an elephant, gain insightful interpretation of elephant behaviour
- Laundry service
- Landing fee and departure tax light aircraft
- Premium brands, imported wines, champagne, spirits and liqueurs
- Any personal expenses, travel insurance, optional activities not listed above and all other extras to be settled directly on departure